Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Nature's Call

Panera, St. Joseph
Bathrooms of Berrien.
The sights, sounds, and smells of a woman in construction.

I didn't want to write a blog at first. Blogs are so impersonal and open to any audience. But after the bewailing of my family to write my crazy stories down, with pictures, I decided to cave in.

You see, I work in construction. I am also a woman. I'm also blonde. Now, I'm no feminist, but being a male-dominated field for a while, some things are hard to change for the 21st century. Though, they aren't the things you'd think of right away. Let me tell you a story.

My first week of work, I was ready. I was ready to not take any of the shit they'll give me, I'll have a air that demands respect, and I'll be confident. Confidence is key. And.... it worked! They called me boss and listened to everything I said. It was waaay too easy. My friend always warned me, "Hey, they're going to try to lure you away, you know, like get you to look at something else or tell you to take lunch or something. Don't let them. Make sure you watch them like an eagle. The more they tell you to look away, the more you should watch them."

So one day Marc turned to me and said, "Uhhhhh look that way for a little bit. Like over the river or something, just not back there."  I grinned and said "Why? Doing something you shouldn't be?" and I turn to see a guy ready to unzip his fly to pee on the side of the road. "Oh."

And that's when the division of sexes became apparent. Sure there are port-a-potties on site, but no one uses them. Literally no one. They have been sitting there since the beginning of the project and maybe their good in the first week, but I'm not going in there. My rump has to touch that thing. Call me a princess, but I'd rather drive miles to a bathroom than use that thing.

That's what I do. Drive to the closest bathroom. And throughout the Berrien County area, I've stumbled upon some.... interesting bathrooms. I hope to share these interesting bathrooms with you as I continue my construction employment for the next 2 months.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment